Carmel Truck Accident Attorneys
We Take a Client-Centered Approach
Though any kind of auto accident can be disastrous and deadly, some of the most devastating accidents are those that involve trucks. Trucks can cause more damage, including injuries and fatalities, in an accident due to their size, weight, and force of impact. The more serious the injuries, the more it costs to recover. If you have been injured in a truck accident and are in debt from your mounting medical bills, property damage, and lost wages, don’t lose hope. The Cline Law Firm has solutions for even the most complicated legal matters and is passionate about serving our injured clients. Our truck accident attorneys in Carmel are known in our community and among our peers for our experience and skills in and out of the courtroom, and our own attorney, Lance Cline, is an invited member in the prestigious Inner Circle of Advocates, which is comprised of some of the most accomplished plaintiff lawyers in the United States.
Common Truck Accident Causes & Injuries
A tractor-trailer or semi-truck can weigh 30,000 pounds or more. A passenger vehicle weighs 4,000 pounds on average. As a result, an accident with a truck often causes far more damage and personal injury than a car accident.
Common causes of truck accidents include:
- Driver fatigue: Commercial truck drivers transport their cargo over long distances and drive for many hours at a time, sometimes through the night. Though truck drivers are mandated to take meal and rest breaks, it is common for drivers to experience fatigue. Driver fatigue increases the risk of accidents.
- Driving a truck like a car: Large, heavy trucks take a long time and great distance to slow or stop and are far less maneuverable than a car. Truck drivers can and do get into trouble on the roadway when they ignore the stopping distance of their large, heavy rigs and drive their trucks like a car.
- Distracted driving: Truck drivers can become distracted like anyone else and cause accidents if they are texting, on a cell phone, or otherwise not paying attention to the road and traffic conditions.
- Alcohol and drugs: Intoxicated driving contributes to many car and truck accidents because intoxication can impair a driver’s judgment and reaction time. Some truckers use amphetamines to stimulate themselves into staying awake for longer drives. Such action can dull a driver's attention and reaction time.
- Speeding: Known as a leading cause of all motor vehicle accidents, speeding reduces driver reaction time to avoid a collision and can cause a driver to lose control of his or her vehicle. It is important for truckers to not speed because speeding increases the stopping distance for trucks.
- Poor training and maintenance: Commercial trucking companies are supposed to carefully and thoughtfully train their drivers and regularly inspect and maintain their vehicles before each use. Failure to do so can cause accidents due to poor driving judgement and attention, as well as faulty brakes and other equipment.
Because of the enormous force that trucks generate, injuries resulting from truck accidents are often severe and permanent, resulting in the need for lifelong medical care. Common injuries include head and back injuries and neck injuries, spinal cord injuries that can lead to paralysis, burns, amputations, and disfigurement.
Who is Liable in a Commercial Trucking Accident?
Parties that may be held liable for damages in a truck accident include:
- The truck driver: Individual drivers can be held liable if they are personally negligent, such as if they are intoxicated or over allowable hours behind the wheel at the time of the accident.
- The trucking company who owns or leases tractor-trailer rigs: Companies can be held liable if they improperly train their drivers or cut corners concerning inspection, maintenance, and safety to meet deadlines.
- Cargo loaders: Sometimes, accidents are caused by negligent constraint of cargo in the truck. If a loader fails to secure cargo properly, this can cause problems with the handling of the truck and can cause a driver to lose control of their rig.
As a well-established personal injury law firm, we can fully assess your accident and determine responsibility and liability for the accident to make certain that you are fully compensated for your injuries, harms, and losses. Suffering from injuries can be debilitating and isolating. We strive to help our clients put their lives back together and to obtain full and just compensation.
Triumphant in Complex Injury Cases
A Record of Client Satisfaction
A Legacy of Success in the Court Room
Membership in the prestigious Inner Circle of Advocates
40+ Years of Collective Experience