Do not hesitate to call our Carmel injury lawyers at (317) 526-4467 to review your case. Our team works on a contingent fee basis, which means that you do not pay us unless and until you win. You focus on healing – we handle the rest.
Carmel Wrongful Death Attorney
Putting Families First During a Dark Time
As a client-focused law firm, our team understands that there are few experiences in life as emotionally challenging, devastating, and life-disrupting as the death of someone you love. Grief is a complicated process associated with a wide variety of intense emotions. It can be made more stressful when you have piles of medical bills, lost income, and funeral and burial expenses that you cannot afford to have. You may also be experiencing anger if your loved one has been killed as a result of the negligence of another.
Whether you have lost someone as a result of a medical professional's failure to diagnose or failure to correctly treat your loved one, or as a result of a negligently-caused motor vehicle collision, you can count on our Carmel wrongful death attorneys to be at your side and to guide you through the maze of litigation while you focus on grieving with your family. The Cline Law Firm is devoted to helping families who have lost a loved one and is willing to invest our time and money in your case.
Our attorney Lance Cline is a member of the Inner Circle of Advocates, which is comprised of some of the most accomplished plaintiff lawyers in the United States. If your loved one’s death was caused by negligence, our team has the knowledge, experience, financial resources, courage, and desire to obtain the compensation you deserve for your unfathomable loss.
Common Types of Wrongful Death Claims
Wrongful death claims can arise as a result of a variety of negligent actions by persons, corporations, and governmental entities.
Common types of events that result in death include:
- Medical malpractice: Medical malpractice is a leading cause of death in the United States. Wrongful death claims can arise from medical malpractice when doctors fail to timely or correctly diagnose and treat patients.
- Truck accidents: Trucks can and do cause devastating injuries and deaths during motor vehicle collisions.
- Car accidents: One of the leading causes of death in the United States is car accidents. Speeding cars and distracted, drunk, or tired drivers often cause catastrophic injuries and deaths.
Who Can File for Wrongful Death?
In Indiana, if the deceased person is an adult, the personal representative for the decedent's estate is the appropriate person to file a wrongful death lawsuit. The personal representative is usually the deceased’s spouse, adult child, sibling, or parent. If the deceased is a child, then the surviving parents are the proper parties to file a lawsuit.
What Damages Can I Recover in a Wrongful Death Claim?
Recovering the damages your family deserves after losing a loved one can bring peace of mind knowing your expenses are covered and the negligent party has been brought to justice. According to Indiana law, certain family members of the deceased can recover damages for the following:
- Medical expenses
- Burial and funeral expenses
- Lost wages and benefits the deceased provided
Indiana Statute of Limitations
Every state has laws regulating who can file a wrongful death lawsuit and what the time limit (statute of limitations) is for filing such a lawsuit. In Indiana, individuals have two years from the date of a negligent act causing death to file a wrongful death lawsuit.
However, there are certain instances where the statute of limitations may be different, like in a medical malpractice case. This is why you must hire a wrongful death attorney. Our team is well-versed on the claims process in Indiana and can work efficiently to file your claim so you have a chance at securing compensation.
Compassionate Legal Guidance for Wrongful Death Cases
Losing a loved one due to someone else's negligence or intentional actions is a devastating experience. At The Cline Law Firm, our Carmel wrongful death attorneys understand the immense grief and pain that families go through during this difficult time. We are committed to providing compassionate legal guidance and support to help you navigate the legal process and seek justice for your loved one.
When you choose our firm to handle your wrongful death case, you can expect:
- Personalized attention: We believe in treating each client with care and respect. We will take the time to listen to your story, understand your unique needs, and tailor our legal strategy accordingly.
- Experienced representation: Our attorneys have extensive experience handling wrongful death cases and have a deep understanding of the laws and regulations that govern these types of claims. We will use our knowledge and skills to build a strong case on your behalf.
- Thorough investigation: We will conduct a comprehensive investigation to gather all the necessary evidence to support your claim. This may include reviewing accident reports, interviewing witnesses, consulting with experts, and more.
- Aggressive advocacy: We will fight tirelessly to hold the responsible parties accountable for their actions. Our goal is to secure maximum compensation for your loss, including damages for medical expenses, funeral costs, loss of income, pain and suffering, and more.
- Clear communication: We understand that the legal process can be complex and overwhelming. We will keep you informed every step of the way, explaining the legal concepts and answering any questions you may have.
If you have lost a loved one in a wrongful death incident, don't hesitate to reach out to The Cline Law Firm. We are here to provide you with the compassionate support and skilled legal representation you need during this challenging time.
$5,634,669 Verdict for a Wrongful Death Caused by Pneumonia
Lance D. Cline obtained a jury verdict of $5,634,669.84 for the wrongful death of a fifty-two-year-old Indian female married to a sixty-four-year-old Indian male at the time of her death. The couple had no children. The decedent developed MRSA pneumonia, a rare form of pneumonia.
$4,100,000 Verdict for Birth-Related Brachial Plexus Nerve Injuries
Lance D. Cline tried this case to a jury in 2012. The plaintiff was a minor male who sustained injuries to brachial plexus nerves in his right arm at the time of his birth. A shoulder dystocia occurred during the vaginal delivery.
$3,500,000 Verdict for a Brachial Plexus Nerve Injury During Shoulder Replacement Surgery
Lance D. Cline tried this lawsuit to a jury in a conservative, northern Indiana county in 2018. The sixty-five-year-old plaintiff had a history of multiple dislocations in his left shoulder between the ages of fourteen and twenty-five that led to the performance of a Magnuson-Stack procedure upon his left shoulder at the age of twenty-five that prevented further dislocations.
$1,285,000 Verdict For a Minor Who Sustained Permanent Brachial Plexus Nerve Injuries at Birth
Lance Cline presented expert witness testimony from two board-certified obstetricians and a biomechanical engineer with expertise and knowledge regarding physician-applied forces during child delivery. The Defendant made no offer of settlement before the trial. The jury deliberated for ninety minutes before ignoring the medical review panel opinion and returning a verdict in favor of the client in the amount of $1,285,000. That was a record verdict in the county where the case was tried.
The Inner Circle of AdvocatesFounding member, Lance D. Cline, is one of only two Indiana lawyers ever invited into this most prestigious and selective organization of plaintiff trial attorneys.
Best LawyersLance D. Cline has been voted by his peers as a Best Lawyer in America in the fields of medical malpractice and personal injury every year since 1997, as the Indianapolis Medical Malpractice Lawyer of the Year three times and as the Indianapolis Personal Injury Lawyer of the Year in 2019.
Super Lawyers®Lance D. Cline has been selected by his peers as an Indiana Super Lawyer and as one of Indiana's Top 50 Lawyers since the inception of the award in 2004. He has also been selected as one of Indiana's Top 10 Lawyers in 2018, 2019, and 2020.
Indiana Trial Lawyers AssociationLance D. Cline has been a member of ITLA's Board of Directors since 1984 and was selected by his ITLA peers as the Trial Lawyer of the Year in 2018.